This time around, the group project was centered around using lighting on location. However, instead of using one strobe we were to use 2.
Photographer: Amanda Model: Erica Assistants: Cris, Stephanie, & Cheyann
We decided to shoot out of class for this portion of the project. Simply, because Tuesday was going to the only day we would have sun for the rest of the week! To be completely honest, I still did not quiet understand what was happening until the end of this session. I think the biggest reason as to why I was able to finally understand what was going on was because we newbies kind of ran the show and our lovely ‘seniors’ were really there for support- this is what we wanted, to see them do the first project then to have us lead the next project.
We read the sun by itself as f16 @ iso 200 & 1/40th sec. It was fairly easy to get Erica set up with just the ambient lighting. It was so bright out with little cloud coverage that there was no issue in finding where our model needs to stand. However, when we needed to illuminate the background with the second strobe. The biggest issue was that we choose a background with a glossy look. So, when we attempted to sset up the strobe it was not reflecting in the way we had hoped. Eventually we thought UP! So, Stephanie held the strobe like a boom mic and we finally got the light to hit to the right of her head (where the sun was coming from). The only downfall with that was everything was so in frame that we had to crop down a lot. If we were to change anything I would try to find a different back ground.
the set up on the dugout
Photographer Cristobal Model: Erica Assistants: Amanda, Cheyann & Devil Tri-Pod
We found this great location to shoot our shade portion of the project on. Unfortantely, we had so much issues that when we were finally able to get everything to work we forgot to make sure Erica was in focus.
To me, she looks like she is bouncer coming up from a really obscure underground night club. Now, this shoot was a nightmare. First off, it was raining and where we wanted to shoot did not provide accurate shelter to make sure our equipment stayed safe. Amanda and I sacrificed our jackets to cover the strobes from too much water and Cris used the umbrella to cover the camera. Getting our ambient metered was set up and found was easy. We had decided to shoot on a stair way so it was pretty obvious where we needed to set up our lights. It was after setting everything up that we had the issues. For some reason our pocket wizards were not syncing. We switched the pocket wizards, turned them on & off, took them off then put them back on. Every now and then they would work but then randomly stop. After 3 cameras and like 4 phone calls to the teacher we figured out why. It was a possessed tri-pod. For some reason, when the camera (with the pocket wizard attached) was on the tri-pod and on the portrait setting, the pocket wizard would refuse to do anything. But as soon as we took it off the tri-pod, and still had it positioned for portrait, it worked! The shade took an hour too long to do, but I think it taught us a good lesson….. bring your own tri-pod. the set up on the stairs
After the last 2 projects, I definitely understand what lighting is and how important it is. When we first started, I got the impression that the strobes were meant to be the main source of lighting and the sun was going to be more of the fill. I am not too sure as to where I got that thought from. But after rereading the project documents again, I finally understand that they were meant to be fills. And once I figured that out, everything the other group members were saying made sense and clicked in my head. What also made sense finally, was why we bracket. We had bracketed to see the difference between the ambient and strobe lighting. I know have a better understanding of ‘stops’. Basically, whenever someone says to increase or decrease a stop, they mean to go down or up 1 full measurement of whatever you are using.